The Chateau of Versailles is the most famous and majestic of all French chateaus. Situated in Versailles in the Yvelines, south-west of Paris, the Chateau and its domain were built for the glory of the French monarchy.
In 1623, Louis XIII bought the land of the actual chateau. At that time there were only fields and a windmill. The king, a great lover of the hunt, built a hunting lodge on the site of the mill. Later, he would have French-style gardens planted, “à la française”. It was only in 1660 with Louis XIV that the Chateau was shown off to its advantage when he decided to plant extensive gardens. It was at the end of the 17th century that the Chateau took on the appearance as we know it today. The Hall of Mirrors is exceptional, incredible in its beauty and by the size of its mirrors. These mirrors echo the large windows that face them and through which one can admire the gardens. This play of mirrors and windows gives the room its name, as well as giving splendor and brightness to the whole room. It is without a doubt the most celebrated and admired of the 2300 rooms in the Chateau of Versailles. The park, landscaped by Le Nôtre, the king's landscape architect, has 233 acres of gardens “à la française” out of the 2000 acres that make up the domain.
This Chateau is grand, appreciated as much for its gardens as for its architecture and its richly decorated rooms. More than 4 million people come each year.