The abbey of Sylvanès is situated between the cities of Montpellier and Albi.
In the beginning of the 12th century the nobleman of Larzac, Monsieur Pons de l’Héras is touched by grace and converted. After a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela, he entered into monastic life with several companions.
The construction of the abbey began in 1151 and was finished a century later, enlarging the buildings bit by bit as its influence spread. Decline began in 1477. It became a stone quarry and then a sheepfold.
The abbey was transformed and then abandoned until the Dominican priest André Gouzes arrived in 1975. The following year an association was created for its restoration and to distribute the sacred music composed by André Gouzes. Today the Abbey is known worldwide for its center of training, research and composition.
It has a publishing house for liturgy and sacred music. It is also known for its numerous training courses of vocal arts, for its conferences for inter-religious dialogue as well as its well-known International Festival of Sacred Music that began in 1978.