Administered by the community of Saint Martin since 2001, the sanctuary of Our Lady of Montligeon in France, situated 160 kms from Paris is the sanctuary of prayer for the dead. Pilgrims have been coming here for over a century from all over the world.
It was Father Joseph Buguet (1843-1918) who made known the basilica of Our Lady of Monligeon. In August 1878, he settled into the little village of Chapelle-Montligeon where he was named pastor. After the sudden death of his brother in 1876, he asked himself often the same question: What becomes of the soul of the dead? Actually, the destiny of the souls of the dead lived constantly within him. In 1884 he decided to found “the expiatory Work for the deliverance of the forgotten souls in Purgatory”.
So as to promote his work, Father Buguet made several trip in France and abroad, obtaining international acclaim and drawing pilgrims from around the world. The first pilgrimages were held in 1885. In 1892, Father envisaged building a larger building so as to receive more people. Work began in 1894 and the first stone was blessed in 1896 by Mgr Trégaro in the presence of 200 priests and 6000 people. On August 28, 1928, 50 years after the arrival of Father Buguet, the church was consecrated and placed under the protection of Our Lady Liberator. The following day it was honored as a Minor Basilica by Pope Pius XI.
Each year there is a Catholic pilgrimage to Our Lady of Montligeon to pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary for the deliverance of souls from Purgatory and for the dead of families.